|Genus||Tiliqua||Blue tongued Skinks|
|Common Names||Two-headed lizard, Pinecone lizard, Sleepy lizard, Boggi, Bobtail, Bobtail goanna, Stump-tailed lizard, Stumpy lizard|
- tongue is dark blue
broad blunt tail similar in shape to head covered with raised scales length 34 cms (13 in)
- arid regions of southern Australia but not on coast
wide range of habitats
- diurnal shelters under fallen timber, leaf litter, and grasses when not active
- mainly herbivorous - favour flowers, berries, succulent leaves also eats spiders, insects, snails, carrion
- breed in spring; same pairs form each year
produce 1-4 but usually 2 live young
References - books
- Australia's Amazing Wildlife, 1985. Bay Books, Kensington NSW.
- Reptiles and Amphibians of Australia, HG Cogger, 1996. Reed Books, Melbourne
- Encyclopedia of Australian Wildlife, Reader’s Digest Australia Pty Ltd, 1997. Reader’s Digest (Australia) Pty Ltd, Surrey Hills.
- Wildlife Conservation, HJ Frith, 1979. Angus & Robertson, London.